Frequently Asked Questions
The Nightingale Fund is the cornerstone of our fundraising efforts, supported annually by our community of parents, alumnae, trustees, faculty, staff, grandparents, and friends. Funds raised flow directly into the current year’s operating budget and are put to use immediately. Each gift has a direct impact on every aspect of Nightingale—from classroom enrichment and arts, to field trips and professional development.
The Nightingale Fund runs from July 1 through June 30 each year. Early participation is encouraged, as it generates enthusiasm and allows us additional flexibility in creating and enhancing academic and extracurricular programs. Our goal every year is to reach 100% participation for trustees, faculty, and parents.
Your 100% tax-deductible contribution to the Nightingale Fund supports the very best things about our school. Below are examples of the many enhancements and opportunities made possible by the Nightingale Fund:
Expanded Academic Programs and Classroom Innovation
- Middle and Upper School debate programs
- Reimagined music program
- STEAM initiatives
- Materials for the makerspace
- Training faculty on how to effectively use technology as a teaching tool
- Continuing education and graduate programs
- Travel grants
- Faculty wellness programs
- Classroom materials
- Professional development (click here to view the conferences and workshops our faculty and staff attended in the 2016–2017 school year)
- Books, subscriptions, and museum memberships
- Financial aid needed for extraordinary circumstances that occur in our community, such as economic hardship due to loss of a job or death of a family member.
- Need-based scholarships for such programs as Hobbyhorse (afterschool program), Sunny Days (June day camp), Debate Institute, and Training in Biotechnology
- Need-based assistance for prom tickets and graduation dresses
- Need-based assistance for international trips, including spending money
Experiences Beyond the Blue Doors
- Student Diversity Leadership Conference
- Overnight and day trips (i.e., Greenkill, Philadelphia, Washington, DC, and London)
- NAIS People of Color Conference
- Regional Alumnae Reunions
Wellness and Athletics
- Fields and practice facilities (Randall’s Island and the 92nd Street Y)
- Uniforms and transportation
- Health and wellness initiatives
- Advisory program
Arts, Music, and Theater
- Strings program: rent and purchase of instruments
- Art supplies
- Middle and Upper School student publications (Out of Uniform, Philomel, Time Regained, and The Spectator)
- Alumnae Reunions
Tuition does not cover the full cost of a Nightingale education. Like all independent schools, we rely on the generosity of our community to support enhancements that provide unique opportunities for our students and enrich our school’s program.
Where does the money for the operating budget come from?
- Tuition: 81%
- The Nightingale Fund: 10%
- Scholarship Fund: 7%
- Other income: 2%
The Nightingale Fund accounts for 10% of the school’s annual operating budget. Funds raised directly support the programs that set Nightingale apart, allowing our students and teachers to flourish.
The Nightingale Fund directly impacts the educational experience of every student from Kindergarten through Class XII. Through classroom enrichment opportunities, world-class field trips, innovative technology, extracurricular activities, the finest faculty, and much more, the Nightingale Fund allows us to deliver on our mission in a way that meets the individual needs of our students.
Your gift—at any level—demonstrates your commitment to Nightingale and its continued success. Your support of the Nightingale Fund sends a powerful message that you believe in our mission, our programs, and our people. High participation is also a key factor in determining foundation grant eligibility.
The first gift you make to the school should be to the Nightingale Fund. We ask that you make your commitment to the fund your first priority because we count on the money raised to help meet our annual operating expenses.
A gift that is meaningful to your family is meaningful to Nightingale. While the amount varies for each family, a gift at any level makes a difference.
$50,000 and up
Blue Doors Society
Up to $499
Leadership giving levels begin at $2,500
If you have additional questions not addressed here, please contact Director of Annual Giving and Constituent Relations Erica Lee at firstname.lastname@example.org or 212-933-6503.