Nightingale’s commitment to the environment can be seen from the school’s infrastructure and the day-to-day functions to its faculty- and student-led initiatives.
The opportunities to make environmentally friendly choices are present all over the school. We know that being good to the world we live in is not only socially responsible, it is good for us, which is why we use eco-friendly cleaning supplies and make environmentally conscious decisions about the foods we purchase for the cafeteria.
Here are some other ways Nightingale goes green:
- Cater to You, our food service provider, focuses their service on low-impact, environmentally responsible principles in order to maintain and support the health of the environment.
- Students and faculty separate their food leftovers by compostable, recyclable, and refuse.
- All the lights in the school are updated with the lowest-energy ballasts and take compact fluorescent light bulbs.
- All classrooms have light sensors that shut off automatically when the room is empty.
- About 75% of the food in the spring and fall is local, seasonal, and organic. All meats come from organic and sustainable farms.
- The cafeteria is trayless and all disposable utensils, cups, and dishware have been replaced by glass and ceramic ware.
- Photocopy paper, napkins, and paper towels use post-consumer recycled material.
- Hand dryers are present in all bathrooms in order to reduce paper towel usage.
- The markers used on the dry-erase boards are refillable and reusable.
- At the end of the school year, students may return their books to reuse.
- Most of our documents and forms are now distributed (and often completed) online.